Friday, October 30, 2015

The Whedonverse Swap: Slayer

Several months ago, I joined an Instagram swap hosted by the lovely Shauna.  It was a Joss Whedon themed swap.  My partner Lindsey is a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan so I went to work on putting together a fun mini quilt for her.
I wanted to try something very different so I grabbed my copy of Quilt Talk by Sam Hunter and got busy.
I pieced my letters and then had to decide how to place them on the mini.  This took more than a little math and playing around. I decided a minimalist approach would really be great for my way of doing things.  Here are the letters all pieced.  Making these paper pieced letters takes a bit of time but they are so worth it in the end.
This is a piece where the negative space was something to be filled up with quilting.

I agonized over the quilting on this for days before I finally got around to putting needle and thread to fabric.  My feathers are still somewhat primitive, but I like stitching them all the same.
I filled in the space between the feathers with simple lines to make the feathers pop.  Thread is Fantastico by Superior Threads, the color is called Lava Flow.
Filling in around the letters also helped to give them a little pop.

I used the same fabric for the binding.
I added some other fun things to the package.  This fun patch from Urban Threads was just one little extra.

This was a great swap and I'm so glad I joined in.  It challenged me to work on something that was a little outside my knowledge base (I did watch a season of Buffy while creating) and allowed me to stretch with my quilting.  Have you joined in any craft swaps that you want to share?  I'd love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.