Thursday, December 29, 2016

Reindeer Games

Several years ago I belonged to a fabric club through Fat Quarter Shop. Every month they would send me a stack of six charm packs. I collected these for a few years. Then, they changed the club to four different charm packs each month. I decided it was too much work (and I had more fabric than I was able to use in a year) to collect these tiny bits of collections so I gave up the club.
Christmas day, before my dinner party showed up, I sat down and pulled out the holiday prints, and the coordinating fabrics I had also collected, and decided to make something.
Because I wasn't feeling very adventurous, I decided a simple disappearing 9-patch would be just the thing. I laid out some of the fabrics and got stitching. I didn't get very far before I had to set this aside until the next day.
On Sunday, I pieced and cut, pieced and cut.
I put them up as I slashed the 9-patches into blocks.
After piecing all the charms I had over 100 blocks. I put them up on my design wall and played with the layout. I rearranged, and rearranged, and rearranged until I had something I liked. Then I moved a couple blocks for good measure.
I webbed the rows together so I wouldn't get mixed up. Well, I hoped I wouldn't get mixed up. Then I pressed and sewed the rows into a quilt top. Bonnie Hunter has some tips about webbing a quilt top on her blog.
Now all I have to do is cut and sew some borders on. Maybe by the end of the year? We shall see.

Day 29 of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.