Thursday, December 15, 2016

Shopping for a New Iron

The Black & Decker charmer there in the foreground was my favorite iron. A friend bought me one several years ago and it worked faithfully for more than a few years. My favorite feature? No non-stick coating. I gave that iron to Annapolis Quilts for Kids since their iron had been dropped more than a few times and wouldn't hold water anymore. I picked up an inexpensive iron at one of the big box stores and used that one for a while. Then, I found this twin of my trusty B&D at the thrift store for $5 and it came home with me. Just last week, it decided it would no longer get hot. I don't know what the problem is, but it did make me a little sad.

I pulled out my Panasonic cordless and it has been doing a pretty good job for my many projects. I've been looking at the classic iron from Black & Decker and I think I might try it. Maybe I'll find another great iron at the thrift store.

Do you have a favorite iron? Do you have an expensive iron or a cheap iron? What makes the expensive one worth it for you?

Day 15 of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Not heating is a better end than catching fire like my last iron. No actual flames, but smoke pouring out of it. My new iron is a cheap one from the big box store, not the cheapest, but less than $30ish. I picked it solely because it's auto shut off is 14 minutes instead of 9, but it also has the non-stick coating and I like how easy starch and any adhesive that escapes the pressing sheet come off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is my $90 or so TFal that I bought years ago at Best Buy. I love it because of it's non-stick bottom and pointy end. However, in order to save life and limb I am currently using a Panasonic cordless. I kept tripping on the cord to the TFal. If I want to iron something wet like starched fabric I have to get out the TFal because the Panasonic doesn't slide on the wet starch.

    Barbara at Stash Overflow

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ran through a LOT of irons in the store over the years (classes, you know:). My favorite of them all was the TFal line - nice pointy tip, quick heat up to decent temps, good steam even with faucet water. I've used the $40 ones and the $90 ones - far as I can tell they both work fine.
    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.