Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Tool Tip Tuesday: Oops!

Today I'm going to give a tip about using fusible web to patch a small hole in a quilt. This isn't an original idea, but I wanted to share how I used it to fix this oops.
After I had quilted about half of Bricks and Stepping Stones I discovered this small hole in the border. I didn't want to remove the quilt from the frame, rip out and replace a section of border, so I decided to patch it in place. I considered patching over the top, but decided to try to patch it from below.
I went to the bin and pulled out a piece of black fabric and a small piece of paper-back fusible web.
I pressed the fusible web to the fabric and trimmed it down.
Remove the paper backing and place the scrap fusible side up under the hole. Don't do what I did, remove that paper before trimming. Trust me, you'll thank me later.
 The scrap isn't very big, maybe 1.5" by 2" and that is more than generous for this purpose.
Grab that cordless iron and press! Don't worry, if you have a regular iron you can just unplug it and take it to the frame. I don't recommend you have water in your iron when you do, though, as often that's when the iron will dribble water.
Here it is, ready for quilting.
The fix isn't very obvious on the finished quilt.
Here it is with quilting close around the hole. Even if it does ravel a little more it isn't going to ravel past that quilting for a long time. The fusible beneath should keep it from doing much raveling anyway.

Remember, don't get wrapped up in these small things. It isn't rocket surgery or brain science. It's only quilting. Something that you do to be happy and relaxed and to have a beautiful, hand-made item at the end of the day. Perfection isn't the goal, the goal is a quilt.

Day 20 of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge.
Freemotion by the River
A quick link up with Free-Motion by the River.

2 comments:

  1. Good idea and thanks for sharing! I have made a bricks and stepping stone quilt in the past - a fun pattern.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.