Friday, January 20, 2017

The Anchor Quilt: Quilting

I shared several steps of my process when making this wonderful quilt. First was fabric selection, then fabric cutting, and then piecing. The pattern is Anchor's Aweigh by Tula Pink, this is a free pattern.
After spending some time waiting to be quilted I finally loaded it onto the frame and got quilting. The background on this quilt just begged for waves to make the large negative space really shine. I couldn't say no. I quilted each section in a coordinating color thread. The turquoise, gray and pink sections each had their own color. Since I used very light colors for each of these I don't know that it made much of a difference.
My quilting is all hand-guided. No computers were forced into slavery to bring you these fun swirls.
The anchor itself was quilted with a simple design.
I really like the waves. The quilting took almost 10 hours over several days to complete.
Poor lighting isn't great for good photographs but I think you can see the quilting.
The binding was made with one of the prints used in the quilt. I finished the binding by machine. I didn't have an opportunity to take a photograph of the completed quilt before I handed it over to my friend. I'm hoping she shares photos of it after she gifts it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.