Friday, May 4, 2018

Small Fans Shawl

In an attempt to post something quickly last week, I learned, again, how much I dislike drafting posts on my tablet. I'm not sure what it is, but it is so much more twitchy than my desktop, so here I am, completely rewriting that post so it won't look horrible and might have more than three words.
I wanted to try out the Small Fans Shawl. I thought I might like it in this fine ombre yarn I received from Aunt Betty. I decided I really liked the work but hated the yarn. I'm sure it is a very nice yarn, but the wool is somewhat scratchy and not suitable for something you intend to put up against your neck. The design is free on Ravelry. I must warn you, though, it is not a pattern, it is a chart, and only a chart. If reading crochet charts isn't your thing, you've been warned.
I grabbed a softer yarn and gave the design a try. This is Chroma Worsted. I only had a partial ball, but I wanted to make sure I could read the chart and that I liked the result with this yarn before I pulled out enough for the project.
I grabbed three balls in one colorway and caked them up. Why did I cake them? I've had terrible luck with ombre and self striping yarns. I will almost always find a knot, joining two very different colors, in the middle of the ball. I don't want that to happen while I'm working, so I almost always cake the yarn. That way I am touching every yard of that yarn before it gets wound and I know what to expect. It also lets me make sure those joins are quality joins and to ensure the color flow is at least some semblance of what I want. I only found a couple knots in one of these balls. The other two were perfect. It also lets me cake them so the colors merge from cake to cake.
This was a fairly quick project. I worked on it during the week after dinner during our television time. We're watching Justified and enjoying every episode. This is pre-blocking. It measured about 64 inches along the top edge.
I wet blocked the work to open up the motifs. I really like how wet blocking opens up crochet or knit to really let the design shine. After blocking it measures 76 inches across the top edge and I don't think I stretched it as far as it would go. 
It is a very nice finish for a quick project. Next up is a test to see how far 100 grams of fingering will go with this pattern. I think this design would work up great in a single color, too.

Project details:
Clover Armour Crochet Hooks (set)
Clover Armour Crochet Hook (size H)
Chroma Worsted Yarn (five pack) The colors I used are no longer available but there are load of wonderful new colors. Or buy Chroma Worsted directly from Knit Picks.
Knitter's Pride Blockers Kit
Knit Picks Blocking Wires Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.