Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Travel Knitting Holey Chevrons

I like to start a project at the beginning of any trip. This time I decided to make Stephen West's Holey Chevrons. I didn't want serious knitting and this qualifies. Simple garter stitch is perfect for travel knitting. No (or little) counting and you don't have to focus too much.
I grabbed two cakes of striping yarn I dyed in June. I just went with whatever color I wanted to use next.
I made good progress by the time we had boarded for the outbound flight. 
Once we reached our destination, I had make excellent progress. 
I had a bunch of time in the car, too, so I got even more done. 
By the time I was back in the airport for my return flight I was well on my way, though not yet to the second cake of yarn. Someday I will learn that most travel projects are better for one-skein projects.
We ended up waiting for the jetway to be fixed, so I got in another row while waiting to deplane. 
I kept working on it for a couple more weeks. Here and there, in little moments. 
I finally got to the chevrons part last week. 
A little day trip in the car and I was well on my way to finished. 
I finished the bind off before Labor Day. 
Here it is before blocking. 
And on the blocking boards. I love my blocking wires and knit blockers. Totally worth it if you knit or crochet as much as I do. 
I'm really glad I decided to strip the edging. I think it makes this project. 
With two cakes of yarn (about 200 grams of fingering) this shawl is decently sized. 
I might knit this one again. It's quick and a satisfying finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.