Monday, January 4, 2016

The 2015 Year in Review

I wish I had a wonderful post all prepared for the first day of the year. Something that would sum up all the things I did and learned. Maybe 2016 will the be the year that gets that treatment. Because I certainly didn't plan well enough to give a good summary of 2015.
Let's get the most important part out of the way. How many spools of thread did I manage to empty during 2015? In 2014 I worked through 21 spools or cones of thread. I have been buying thread by the cone, so I don't foresee this trend continuing into the future. It just takes so long to empty a cone of the 2000 to 6000 yards one can hold. 8 cones, 6 spools and 9 pre-wound bobbins of thread emptied in 2015. Total: 14 spools/cones.
Big events:

  • I had a big promotion at work and a new job
  • We moved to a new town so I could have a better commute (from the old house the new job was 1.5 hours of drive-time)

We bought a new house, because we don't do things by halves, this is my new fabric storage

  • I went from a tiny sewing studio to one big enough for my long-arm frame at 10 feet
  • Total blog posts for 2015: 133


  • I set a goal of quilting four charity quilts a month during 2015. The final count was 50 quilts.


  • Sew My Stash 2015 Projects - I did manage to make several projects from my stash. One of the biggest things I did was go through and make stacks and stacks of totes using the free pattern available from The Green Bag Lady. If you live in a state where plastic bags are on the decline or even no long available, this is the perfect alternative and it uses about 1/2 yard of fabric per bag. Not into sewing? Don't worry, The Green Bag Lady has you covered with monthly give-aways when you comment on her blog.

I also made more than a couple scrappy quilts that did use up some of that stash. This quilt I pieced the backing from leftovers I had on-hand. You know your stash is out-of-hand when you can make an entire quilt from fabrics on-hand.
Even the binding came from the leftover binding bin.
My How to Make a Scoodie tutorial received five more comments in 2015 and is up to 330 page views. I'm so glad people are still using the tutorial and I love hearing about your projects.
I tried to pick a favorite quilt from 2015 and just couldn't do it. Here are my favorite quilts from 2015. There were more finishes, but these are my favorites. I didn't buy any additional fabric to finish this quilt, not even backing.


Do you have a favorite quilt of the year?

Goals for 2016:

  • quilt 4 charity quilts a month
  • finish at least 6 unfinished objects during the year (I think I'll capture this in another post)
  • continue to work through my fabric collection with more projects aimed at Sew My Stash 2016
  • start the new year on a fabric diet and try to stick to it
  • spend some time working with InkScape and 5D Embroidery to create digitized embroidery designs
  • continue to blog at least three times a week (but I'm not going to get spun up if I don't meet this one). I'm taking to heart some things Christa of Christa Quilts said on her blog in December. 
  • add to this list when I find something that needs to be added, new goals are important
  • work with curved piecing

I also want to share this great post from Mandalei Quilts from Sew Mama Sew. I often read comments from quilters on quilting groups that they don't know what is a fair price for a long arm quilter. If you don't know much about having your quilt quilted by a professional long arm quilter I recommend you take a read and learn about this part of quilting. I don't think everyone should become a long arm quilter but I do believe you should arm yourself with as much information as you can before you take your hard work in to be quilted.

What are your goals for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.