Monday, September 26, 2022

Sometimes I Rip

I pieced this itty-bitty quilt and found this little tear in one of the blocks after the piecing was done. When I saw the rip I marked the square so I could rip it out and replace it with another piece. 
Since this was pieced using strip sets I ripped two sides first to release the strip. Then it was a simple matter of ripping the sides of the square. (Bonnie Hunter has a great tutorial that shows how to piece strips and sew them up like this. Check out her free pattern Scrappy Trips. It is a great time savings over cutting individual squares and sewing them together.)
Once I had the offending square out I just needed to sew that replacement square back in. 
Pressed and ready for quilting. I often tell my friends I don't rip. That isn't entirely true. I'm not the kind of quilter that will sew, rip, press, sew, rip, and press again. I would rather make another block and try to get it closer than spend time ripping. That doesn't mean I don't rip. I means I am very choosy about when I rip. I will rip for a couple minutes to save hours of work. I will not spend hours ripping to get one seam correct. I want to be better at piecing, not ripping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.