Friday, April 30, 2021

Assemble!

I bought this Marvel Avenger's panel several years ago. I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with it but I knew I had to have it. Recently, Sam Hunter of Hunter's Design Studio released a pattern for making panels into bigger, throw-size quilts with paper pieced borders. I rushed to Hunter's Design Studio to buy my pdf copy. 
I was too impatient to use the included paper piecing patterns so I made a bunch of flying geese. I promise you I'm going to use those paper piecing patterns. Just not in this project. 
I made an entire flock of flying geese. 
I decided I wanted a little paper piecing so I drafted this simple block for my corner stones using EQ8. Sometimes EQ8 makes things so easy. 
Four blocks were done, and precisely so, in no time. 
I chose to place a narrow border before adding my flying geese borders. 
Those paper pieced corner blocks really make this border shine. I followed with another narrow, red border. 
The final border is where this quilt really grew to a good size. My finished top measures 65" by 70". That's perfect for covering up on the couch. Now all it needs is a back. I'm going to have to visit the fabric store at some point or these quilts will never get finished. Right now I'm digging around in my collection to find panels that may be hiding. Because now they can become something amazing. 
 
Check out the Panel Pals pattern for yourself. You can order a paper copy or the pdf version for print-at-home, instant gratification. The directions are clear and the results are so worth it. Support small designers by buying their patterns. You will make a creative happy and you'll have a great pattern to make wonderful things with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.