Monday, May 17, 2021

Make Do and Mend

I bought a simple tote at one of the big box stores several years ago. One of the handles decided it was giving up. Of course, it did this while it was full of charity quilts. 
That failed strap became this tangled mess. That's okay, I have all the tools needed to fix this bag so it can get several more years of use carrying charity quilts around. 
Step one: measure the width of the strap. We will multiply this by four to determine how wide to cut our fabric strap. 
Step two: use this amazing tool from Bucklebee Bags. This is their Razor Seam Ripper and is a great tool for ripping. I am so glad I came across Bucklebee Bags at a local quilt show a couple years ago. 
Step three: find some suitable fabric. I grabbed some fabric leftover from a quilt backing and cut it to 4" wide by about 44" long. This great video by Daisy Lane Design shows you how to make this style handle. Then I trimmed my handles to the correct length. 
Step four: clip those straps to the bag. 
Step five: stitch the handles to the bag.
Step six: fill the repaired bag with quilts to drop off at Annapolis Quilts for Kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.