Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Machine Knitting

I pulled out this cake of lace weight yarn and decided to try something perhaps a little crazy. I decided to try to make a boxy sweater. 
The good news is that the back is just a big rectangle. I used a 20 row hung hem. I used the drop shoulder sweater pattern from The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges. It is a great place to start your sweater-knitting journey if you are a hand knitter. I found converting the stitch counts to machine knitting easy.  
Knitting the front of the sweater turned out less straightforward, or successful on the first try. 
I knit the front of this sweater three times. 
Each time there was a different problem. I dropped stitches. I lost count of the rows. It was challenging. 
I managed to get the front knit and onto waste yarn across the shoulder seams. 
I used a three-needle bind off for the right shoulder seam and added a hung hem collar. Next I will use the three-needle bind off for the left should and seam up the collar. I plan on hanging the shoulder to knit the sleeves onto the sweater. Let us hope that goes more quickly than knitting the front of the sweater. I admit this is turning out better than I expected. It is a great learning experience, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.