Monday, April 10, 2023

Utility Quilts

In 2002 I made this quilt for my husband. It was made with fabrics from one of the big box stores. The calicos were fat quarters of blue fabric. The background was a solid black, and the backing was bleached muslin. This is what I call a utility quilt. A quilt that was made to be used. A quilt to use until it can't be used any longer.  
This quilt has been in use for twenty years. It was starting to show its age and had a few tears, mostly in the muslin backing at the top edge. That loss of structure resulted in tearing of the top. 
I decided the best way to get this quilt back to work was to cut off the bits that had worn. I cut 12 inches off the top of this quilt. 
I ripped back the binding along the edges so I could join it to new binding. 
I pulled a blue print from my stash and cut enough strips to make new binding. I did question why I had cut 3" wide strips for that binding but it doesn't really matter. 
I patched a solitary hole in one of the stars using a scrap of blue fabric. 
Then the repaired quilt was put back onto the bed and will likely live a good life keeping humans and dogs warm for at least another ten years. 

Part of why I wanted to tell this story is to show that you should never feel shame at buying the fabric you can afford and using it to make things. If you take good care of the quilt, it will last many years. If you have to make your quilts out of old sheets and scraps cut from shirts, that's fine, too. I also wanted to show how a quilt can be repaired and continue its life. Just because something has a few rips doesn't mean you have to throw it away. Mending is easy. Giving my partner back his mended quilt is priceless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.