Monday, July 8, 2013

Hot & Cold

I was poking around the internet and found some tutorials for hot & cold packs made with rice as the filling.  I thought this might be a good way to cool off during the summer season.  Besides, I can't leave any project like this alone.
I wanted one to wrap around the back of my neck and another to use as a small heating pad.  The theory is simple.  Make a bag, with or without channels, fill with rice, close.  Heat or cool as needed prior to use.
The biggest thing I did differently than some of the tutorials, was to use much, much less rice.  I found that if you over-fill the bag, it isn't very flexible.  Not so great if you want to hang it around your neck.  If you're going to use it more as a heating pad, it can have more rice in it.  This also makes it so much easier to stitch up the opening by machine.  Might take a little wrangling, but I didn't spill any rice under the machine.
I started with a 5 lb bag of rice.  I managed to make two long packs and four square packs.  I didn't make the bags out of my fashion fabric.  I wanted to be able to change the cover and wash it if needed.  If you're in a rush, go ahead and make it out of the fashion fabric.  I wouldn't use batting for these, though.  Cotton batting and the microwave may not be a good combination.
I'll write a tutorial for the bags, a light cover and a heavy cover made with batting.  I haven't tried the more insulated cover (it is summer where I live) so I can't tell you how well it performs as a heating pad.  My hope is that it will stay warm longer but provide a less intense heat.  Great for warming feet for bed.  
A simple, straightforward project that makes a great gift.  I've already got two, with two covers for each, ready for a friend.  Not a bad morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.