Monday, November 9, 2020

Deconstruction

Several years ago another quilter gave me this quilt top. You can't tell from this distance but since the half-square triangle blocks were made with nothing but bias edges it is something of a mess. Points don't line up, stitching missed in more than a few places. Overall, not a good piecing method for beginning quilters. I'm not even going to tell you how to do it because it usually ends in disaster even for seasoned piecers. After pressing I grabbed my Tucker Trimmer III and started cutting 10.5" squares. 
Here are the first few. I kept going. 
I'm not done yet. Here are the blocks I have so far. I'll see how many I can get out of the top before I start adding more blocks. Even the leftovers will get pieced into blocks. Some of these have some extra improv. 

How will this help? Well, it gets rid of much of the bias since I'm cutting many of these closer to on-grain. I still expect it to need some serious pressing and somewhat tight quilting to make it really behave. This is going to be a fun adventure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.