Monday, June 28, 2021

Diabolical Jane

I think it was a couple months ago that I saw several people posting their Diabolical Jane quilt tops. Jesse Aller posted a free tutorial for this quick and striking quilt on her blog in 2016. I had that tab open in my browser for what seemed a long time. It was time to start cutting and planning. 
I started with this one little square. Granted, that's the idea, but it's so small! This isn't even the center square that found its way into the final quilt. Because that's how design works. 
I've been trying to work through my collection of batik fabrics and this is likely the last large project I get. That isn't to say I don't have any batiks left. Only that I'll be down to a bunch of 4.5" squares, 5" squares, and 2.5" strips. This isn't quite right, either.  
I expanded until I ran out of enough fabrics to continue. This is the basic idea. I did move some fabrics around before sewing it all together. 
Once I had the center assembled it was time for borders. Again, I pulled from my collection.
I think the pattern called for a 9.5" border but I didn't have enough of this black fabric to pull that off. It was leftover from the backing on another quilt which was great because I could cut each border in one continuous piece. I just had to fit in some cornerstones to make it work. 
I think it came together nicely considering it was constructed with what I had on hand. Now it needs a backing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.