Monday, May 22, 2023

Frolic Mystery Quilt Finish!

It's been more than year since I quilted my version of Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt Frolic. I decided it was time to get it bound.
Applying binding to large quilts is a wrestling match. I attach the binding to the back of the quilt so I can machine finish it from the top. 
If you want to learn more about how I mark my binding for joining the ends, or other quilt binding tips, I have a page (linked on the sidebar) where you can find my machine finished binding tips
My way is not the only way, and it necessarily the best way. It is just the way I get consistent results. If you're on the fence about using FriXion pens in your crafting, don't worry, I only mark on the back of the fabric, or where the binding will be hidden once finished. 
Then, once I press the binding away from the quilt, I roll it to the front and finish it by machine. It makes for a sturdy binding. 
Now it is ready for its first wash. 
My version was made using larger pieces than the pattern called for and a completely different color palette from the mystery. I think it came out great! Do you like to change up the colors when making mystery quilts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.