Wednesday, July 16, 2014

MQG Challenge meets Sew Together

When I received my fabrics for the Modern Quilt Guild Challenge, I had no grand idea on what I would be making.  That was before I discovered the Sew Together Bag.  
My friend Susan over at The Bored Zombie made one and I had an opportunity to use it while I was at the Maker Faire in Raleigh.  I loved it as a notions bag.
This is actually the second bag I made with this pattern.  I used the majority of the challenge fabrics plus two fat quarters of coordinating Michael Miller fabric, a small piece of batting and some Wonder Under for the lining and the side pieces.  Little squares of wool felt became the needle and pin landings.  I did try another pattern before this one, you can see the result in this blog post.
I cut all the lining pieces before I cut the squares for the outside of the bag.  I wanted it to be scrappy and this seemed the best way to use the limited fabrics available.
The very simple quilting was done with my Pfaff with the IDT engaged.  I used Superior Threads Masterpiece for the piecing and the top stitching.  I found a great tutorial over on the Quilt Barn for a sew-along for this bag.  Great pictures and descriptions.
I wasn't in love with the fabrics when I started, but I love this bag.
Pattern from Sew Demented:  $12
Challenge fabric, six fat eighths of Michael Miller:  Free
Coordinating fat quarters from Spring Water Designs:  $6
Masterpiece Thread from Superior:  less than $1.00 (I got this color as part of a Try Me! special.
Zippers from ZipIt!:  about $2.50, little zipper pull:  free with order from ZipIt!
Wonder Under:  about $0.75 (you need a little over 1/4 yard)
Batting was a piece of Warm and Natural left over from a quilt, so I'm going to count that as free.

A bag that holds my scissors, thread, needles, pins, bobbins, hexagon papers for Engilsh paper piecing, fabric squares for hexies and finished hexies, tape measure and binding clips is a wonderful and priceless thing.  Love it!

Have you made something that you just love?  Something that you want to make again and again and you question whether you want to give any away?

4 comments:

  1. I love your bag! I really have to get that pattern...am seeing it all over the place...even want to try some hexies...so I can fill the bag and have it 'ready to go'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag turned out so cute! I have made one and love it, too. The pattern was incredibly easy to follow and I'm not afraid of zippers anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to make this bag and to use this fabric for something.,I love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag is so gorgeous! I love those fabrics and this was the perfect project to show them off. Nicely done, Becca!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.