Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tool Tip Tuesday: the Tucker Trimmer

This will be a quickie.  I promise.

Today I bought the Tucker Trimmer III.  I know it is hard to believe that I have been making quilts and quilt blocks for a long time and I just now picked up this 12.5" square-up ruler.
I've been in love with my 6.5" Tucker Trimmer since I bought it on the recommendation of Material Girls.  I have been frustrated by squaring up these larger blocks for long enough.  If you don't have one and want to try making half-square triangle blocks I recommend getting one.  If you just want to make your squares square, it works, too.  There are plenty of other square rulers that will get you to that perfectly trimmed block.  This is the one I prefer.
When I make my HST blocks, I cut to the next 1/2" up (a 4.5" finished block would be cut at 5" (charms!)) before sewing.  I mark a diagonal line, stitch on both sides at a scant 1/4" seam allowance, cut the two apart along my marked line and press open for trimming.  The trimming leaves me with all of these little bits.  I am realistic enough to know that cutting at 4 7/8" is just not something I want to do.  I would rather square up that square after I have pieced it and pressed it.
I picked up this great tool at Ellicott City Sew-Vac.  I was there for the Row-by-Row Experience but I couldn't pass up this great ruler.  I also picked up the license plate and their row kit.  I'm trying to figure out how to get my far-flung friends in on this adventure.  Have you looked into joining this Shop Hop?  It is a great way to find some of those little shops you would never know were just around the corner from Grandma's house.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I love rulers!

    Several of my bee mates are working hard on the row by row thing. They are making maps, travel plans, and figuring out who is going to be where. It hasn't quite caught my attention, I think because my OCD only like things that I can collect ALL of them. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.