Monday, November 30, 2015

In the Mail Monday: Colorado Shopping

I recently traveled to Colorado on business and was able to visit a couple quilt shops after the day's work. Since I packed so carefully, I had no room for my loot to come home with me on the return flight, so I filled up a flat rate box and shipped my goodies home.
I took my paint chips along for my version of Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt. I decided to mix things up a little, so my colors are not the same as Bonnie's.  I did this last year so I feel comfortable doing it again this year. Besides, I'm terrible at following directions.
First on my list was High Country Quilts. This was a great shop0 and I spent entirely too much time there collecting my goodies.
NOTE: if you have a quilt shop and offer a "buy 10 fat quarters, get one free" deal I will buy 10 of them. Every. Single. Time. I couldn't leave the measuring tape twill tape behind. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I now have three yards of it. I was pleased to see they still had the Row by Row plates so I grabbed one of those, too.
My next stop was Lady Bug Hill Quilts. This shop was so friendly and helpful. This is where I threw aside my selection of purple as one of my colors and pulled out these amazing magenta fabrics. I love how these play with the blue. I was pleased to find they had the Wrights Companion Angle ruler that Bonnie recommended for the mystery quilt. I love rulers so this was an easy purchase.
My last quilt shop stop was at Nana's Quilt Cottage. This small shop was small but so delightful! Very helpful staff and awesome service.
In the background you can see a couple larger pieces that I picked up from their discounted rack. I couldn't leave them behind at such amazing prices. This was a shop that I could spend my afternoons in if I lived nearby.
I also made one stop at Woolly Works Knit Shop.  I picked up this yummy yarn from Blue Ridge Yarns.
I knew the name looked familiar, and when I got home and looked up the maker I understand why. I likely have seen this vendor at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival.  This is Kaleidoscope in the Waterfall colorway; a superwash merino in worsted weight, 200 yards. I think it will make a wonderful cowl or scarf for my DH.
During my travel, I started working on The Doodler, a mystery knit along by Stephen West. I love knitting as a take-along project. If you follow me on Instagram you can check out my progress on this and other projects.  Right now I have three knitting projects on the needles. I will not start another until I bind off at least one. I like to keep my options open.

Have you discovered any new shops in your travels? Small businesses need your patronage to continue to offer the wonderful products. Shop small!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.