Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Circular Sock Knitting - Cast-on Bonnet

Getting started with sock knitting: Cast-on bonnet
I wanted to make a cast-on bonnet for my Erlbacher Gearhart circular sock knitting machine. This is a great first project that will teach loads of skills.

With this first project I learned:
  • how to attach the set up bonnet, 
  • knit onto waste yarn, 
  • adjust tension to avoid dropped stitches, 
  • switch to project yarn, 
  • again adjust tension, 
  • transfer stitches for the picot edge, 
  • pick up and hang a hem without dropping stitches, 
  • transfer stitches and pull needles to switch to the mock 1x1 rib, 
  • bind off with a crochet chain,
  • how to set up for i-cord,
  • how to create i-cord
  • and how to put the machine back into order to knit with all the needles. 
If you want to see how this is done, I used this video from The Colorado Cranker to get started with this type of cast-on bonnet. I definitely wanted a cast-on bonnet that could hold weights and make those weights easy to remove. The i-cord drawstring for this bonnet does that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.