Monday, May 16, 2022

Make May Modern

Last Saturday the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild held their Make May Modern one day retreat. I didn't attend in person but they encouraged everyone to make a tote using the Ruby Star Society Reusable Shopping Tote pattern (free). Since I didn't attend I decided to at least sew along with part of my day and make the tote. This fabric has been in my collection for more than five years. I'm pretty sure it came to me as a mystery box of quilting cottons from Craftsy. Large prints almost always become totes or bags because I don't have much luck cutting them up for quilts. 
This little pattern has you measure for your cutting lines. I used my Creative Grids Circle Savvy 11-3/4in x 18-1/2in Quilt Ruler to cut the curves. I use the Fiskars Stick Rotary Cutter, 28mm to cut those arcs.
I cut the pocket a little bigger than the pattern asked for. 
I used the serger to tidy up the straps before folding and top stitching. This pattern uses French seams but doesn't make it sound complicated. 
It does fold into the pocket. Not that it I managed to fold it to look pretty. Usually I fold my totes so they are tidy but this is the first time I've made one with a pocket specifically for the task. 
Overall this was a great afternoon project. I don't think this bag will become my go-to bag as it does have some waste. I might use some of the techniques on other simple totes, though. It does have a very professional finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.