Friday, October 26, 2007

Windmills Baby Quilt

I put away the computer and EQ6. Mouse clicks just weren't getting me anywhere. I'd actually started the cutting for this quilt, so the software just showed me the math for what I'd planned anyway.

Quilt math is interesting, if you care about it. All seam allowances are 1/4". So, if you cut two strips (like the ones in this quilt) to 2.5" and sew them together, you get 4.5 inches. Two of those add up to 8.5 inches and so on. The software lets you just plug in the finished size, then it calculates everything from finished size to how much fabric you'll need. The fabric estimation is the most important part for me. I always OVER-estimate the yardage required. Granted, this leaves plenty for scrappy quilts later, but it also means I over purchase.

I really enjoy putting the baby-size quilts together. They'll like short attention-span-theater. Cut, cut, sew, cut, sew, sew, sew... ta-da! Quilt top. Quilting it all together is pretty easy, too. No fighting with a huge bundle of fabric under the arm of the sewing machine. Until I can get a long-arm, I'm pretty sure big quilts will be special occasion projects. Wall hangings are even better, but baby quilts are the best for making happy parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.