Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ocean Currents

I pulled out all the batiks I've been collecting.  I love to buy them, but then rarely sew with them.  I found some that coordinated with one of those jellyrolls and put them together.
Here are my fabrics, blue and green and a small splash of purple.  Overall, I added 14 strips from my stash to the purchased jellyroll fabrics.  This will make the quilt finish around 64" x 68"... or so.  I'm just guessing.
The dark fabric will be the borders and binding.  I got to sewing them into one long strip and then onto the next step.  You can find the instructions for this quilt by Missouri Quilt Company on Youtube.
Here is the first pass, see that really long 2.5" strip?  Soon it will become 4.5", then 8.5" and so on.
I didn't take a bunch of pictures of the process, but I will tell you that it starts to pick up speed since every pass takes half as long as the last one.
Here it is at 16 strips wide and about twice the length of the finished quilt.
Even looking at the back of this one is pretty exciting.  Almost there!
Here it is all pressed and pretty.  I didn't get any pictures of the finished top with borders on it, that will have to wait for another time.  I keep thinking of how I should quilt this one.  I think it needs something with large swirls that will really make this quilt live up to its name of Ocean Currents.

Finishing this quilt will have to wait for a couple months as I have to go away for work.  I'm sure I'll have something new to share when I return.  Until then, be crafty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.