Saturday, June 2, 2012

Grumpy Old Lady

This quilt was made with the fabrics I picked up on one of my many shopping trips.  Say hello to Maxine.

Here is one of the many blocks that makes up the Grumpy Old Lady quilt.  There are only about 12 of these Maxine blocks in the quilt.  The rest are from a bunch of bright, fun prints.
I didn't like the size it was intended to be from the kit, so I added about 1.5 yards of fabric from my stash to make the quilt bigger.  The pattern called for 6 by 7 blocks, I wanted it to be 7 by eight and include a border.  Assembly was pretty straightforward and quick with the 8 x 8 inch blocks.
The quilt turned out to be quite a monster and I had to add some more fabric from my stash to get the backing to an appropriate size.  Here, you can see how I've used some red and yellow to create a big enough backing.  Overall, about three yards of fabric for the backing. 
I tried to get a couple shots of the meander quilting that I used for this quilt.  This dark purple block showed the stitching the best.
I used Superior Thread's King-Tut thread in red-green-blue-yellow colorway.  Amazing stuff, this Superior Thread.  I love quilting with it in that it is the best top-thread I've ever used.  I want some in every color they make!
Here is the (mostly) finished quilt.  All that's left now is the binding and the label.  As always, I've fallen in love with this quilt and will be sad to see it go.  However, I think I know the perfect grumpy old lady to give it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.