Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tool Tip: Thread Snip

This is a quick little tip that I got from a video that was shared on Facebook.  I couldn't find the video, so you'll be stuck with my pictures and basic description.

Do you drop your scissors or the little block units when snipping the threads between chain-pieced units?  Do scissors just seem like an over-abundance of cutting capability to snip those threads so you can move on to the pressing and the next round of chain piecing?  This may be for you!  (You may also think it is just plain silly.  Make up your own mind.)
For this thread cutter you're going to need at least one letter opener like the one shown above and two pieces of hook fastener.  I went with the Command strips from 3M because I could get the fastener and the letter openers in one happy place.
You'll need two pieces of the fastener and one letter opener per installation.  I picked up enough for more than one, but I haven't decided where the second one will be installed.
Take two pieces of the fastener and stick them together with the hook sides of the strips.  This will make your cutter easier to move around or replace.  Pull the paper off the back of one of the Command strips and press firmly to attach to the letter opener.  Figure out where you want to put your cutter.
Pull the paper off the back of the other piece of fastener and press firmly to the underside of your sewing table or chosen location.  I put mine under the edge of my machine table to the left of the machine bed.
You can either turn it around to face the other way when not in use, or remove it and put it into a drawer nearby.  I didn't like mine hanging around, so I put it in the drawer to the right of the machine.

Now you are set to cut those threads at a faster pace without having to pick up your scissors.  Just hold the two chain pieced units, one in each hand, and slide the joint into the slot to cut the threads.  I haven't much testing this one except to make sure it cuts.  I will have to do a bunch of chain piecing to provide a fair review.  If you decide to give it a try, please let me know how it worked out for you.

Do you have any tips for making sewing tools out of unexpected things?

3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea Becca! None of my machines have a thread cutter on them. This would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thread cutter idea you have - if the one on the side of my machine ever dulls too much, now I know what to use instead! Thanks for posting over at auntmamiesquilts.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.