Friday, February 27, 2015

Finally Finished Friday

Have you ever looked through your stash and found something you forgot you had?  I don't like to admit it.  I'm not all that old.  That doesn't mean I don't find things I forgot about.  This quilt was one of those times.

I found this almost finished quilt top.  It is from a kit from a chain store.  I probably bought it about ten years ago.  I have no real idea when.  I added the last two borders to it and found a likely piece of backing fabric.  In this case, I had the last of 10 yards of wide flannel that was just about the perfect size.
The large frame is in my three-season room on the back of my house.  It gets great southern light but winters aren't often the best time to be out there.  When I peeked out the window and found that the temp out there was almost as warm as in the heated house I jumped up and went out to get quilting.
I loaded it all up and got stitching.  I didn't want to custom quilt this since it is just a kit that has been languishing in my stash for years.  I just wanted it done.  I decided that this great design would be perfect for getting it done.  I found this inspiration in my copy of Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters.  It is called flower power and I love doing this as an all-over design.  It is easy to fill in with the petals and to move from motif to motif.
Here is a shot of the back of the quilt.  You can see that there isn't any traveling, just a bunch of echoing of the petals.  The top thread is King Tut from Superior Threads.  The bobbin thread is Tailor Made 27 from Superior Threads (this thread has been discontinued).


Here is a shot of the top.  I still need to make and attach the binding.  Once it is bound and washed I think the texture will be awesome!

Have you found some long-lingring quilt top that you had forgotten about?  This is the year of finishes!  Get sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.