Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tuesday Tool Tip: Bias Tape Maker

I talked about making a muslin for Colette - Laurel on Sunday.  Today I'm going to tell you about my adventure with bias tape.
I've had these Clover Bias Tape Makers in my collection of stuff for years.  I don't even remember where or when I got them.  I figured I should give it a try since that is the method recommended for the finish on the collar and sleeves of Laurel.
The first thing I did was go read the continuous bias tape tutorial from Colette.  Then, I read the directions in their Laurel Extras booklet (free to download).  I referred to both a couple times while making my cuts.  I got it sorted, and got to work.  The extras booklet has a great chart to help you figure out how big a square you need to cut to make a certain length of tape.  My square was 13" by 13" and I had more than enough to make bias binding for my dress.  I have a bunch left over, too.
I've seen this method a few times, but this is the first time I've tried it.  My tape wasn't perfect, but it was pretty neat to make it myself.  I discovered that the downside to marking with the Frixion pen is that I can't really press the second seam until after I cut the strip.  Not a disaster, just a consideration.  The marking tool you use isn't that important since it is the cutting line and will be hidden inside the binding.
Here is my cut and ready to go strip.  Time to get to pressing.
It may be me, but I almost always end up with slightly steamed fingers when doing this kind of stuff.
I pressed and steamed my fingers until I had around eight yards of 1/4" bias binding (that's from two 13" by 13" squares of fabric).  I think the scale of this fabric is almost too big for the binding.  Not a bad thing, just something to take into consideration.  Smaller prints do work better at this scale.

Have you rediscovered (or discovered) a tool in your sewing room?  I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.