Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tool Tip Tuesday: Fiskars Thread Snips

I always have to turn around and reach for my scissors when cutting threads on the long arm.  (I'm not going into the bury threads/don't bury threads argument.  Do what you're comfortable with.  I don't bury threads.)
I wanted a solution that would keep my scissors, or some snips, at hand without having to turn and search for the scissors.  It occurred to me that this could be easily accomplished with just a couple things.  I picked up the Fiskars Thread Snips on sale ($6-$9).  The badge reels ($3-$4 for a pair) were picked up at Office Depot.
I decided that I liked how the snips felt in my hand with the badge reel on this side (the top) of the snips.  I attached the snips and then stood in front of my long arm trying to figure out  the best place to hang the darn thing.  Reach is an issue as is keeping the dangling thing out of the way of high-speed parts and feeding threads.
I ended up clipping it onto the bottom of one of the thread holders.  I haven't loaded a quilt and tested this location.  I'll update this once I've run a test.  I'm pretty sure it will work out.

Total cost of the tool tip:  Less than $10.  I think this will work similarly if you're trying to keep track of the snips at your sewing machine.  Just be sure to keep them out of your normal operating area (I would never attach these snips to my person) because they are sharp and they do not stay closed due to the design of the snips.  Wearing open blades is never a good idea.

Do you find you're misplacing your cutting tools?  What have you done to keep track of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.