Monday, May 21, 2018

Batik Curve

The April Get It Done UFO Challenge was my take on improv curved piecing. I managed to finish the top in April, but didn't get a chance to buy backing to finish the quilt until May. I had a random vacation day last week and used it as an opportunity to head over to Spring Water Designs to pick up backing fabric. They have an excellent selection of wide backing fabrics.
I loaded up and got stitching.
The improv piecing didn't lend itself to very specific quilting, so I went with swirls and waves. The texture is going to be spectacular.
Here is a look at some of those swirls from the back. This is my favorite kind of quilting. Just quilting to fill the space with texture.
A close-up of the front.
I grabbed my leftover batik binding bits, added a couple more strips, and had some fun scrappy binding. I accordion fold the binding so it doesn't get twisted up like it does with winding it up like on a spool.
Bound and done, that's a finish!

If you don't know how batiks are made, I recommend you check out this YouTube video about the batik process. Making this fabric is very labor intensive. The last step is one I always point out to other quilters. To remove the wax the fabric is placed in near boiling water. It is very unlikely there is any unfixed dye still hanging around in a batik after the final manufacturing wash and rinse. This is one of the reasons I don't pre-wash batik fabrics. To be honest, I no longer pre-wash any fabrics. I like to liver dangerously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.