Monday, May 14, 2018

Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018 - May

This is the next installment of the Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018 for May.
Number 3 is the Quilter's Quest quilt from 2014. It keeps showing up on this list and doesn't seem to get finished. The top was finished in 2014 but kept waiting to be quilted and bound.
The top was finished in 2014 but kept waiting to be quilted and bound.
Step one to get a quilt quilted is to get the label stitched onto the backing fabric. This is my favorite way to label a quilt. It isn't a quick process, because I have to design the label, transfer it to the embroidery machine, prepare the fabric for hooping, stitch out the label, and remove any stabilizer from the back of the fabric. This is something that I often forget to plan for, but this time I got it stitching while I was quilting a charity quilt. I think labels are just as important as cutting, piecing and quilting.
This one isn't a big quilt. I'm thinking it comes in around twin-sized.
I quilted swirls in the background fabric.
And these petals in each of the geode spaces. The background quilting makes those petals pop.
I always match my top and bobbin threads. In this case I used a light gray thread for both the top and bobbin. This means the quilting shows up very clearly on the dark blue paisley backing fabric.
The binding was made with leftover coordinating strips and a couple strips cut from the background fabric. I just love a scrappy binding. I didn't use all of the binding I made. Most of the dark purple didn't make it into this quilt.
The pattern is called Geodes and is from The Scrappy Apple.

It is so nice to have another finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.