Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018 - April

This is the next installment of the Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018.
April was number 6. What is number 6? Quite possibly one of the most difficult or time-consuming projects on my list. 
Way back in October I started playing with these fun shapes. The goal was to play with curves and use up a bunch of batik leftovers from other projects. I also threw in some solids in muted tones.
As I slowly progressed, I realized I wasn't having much fun once the pieces became larger than about 12 square feet. They were just too difficult to join up and maintain a flat piece of work. I'm not saying it was impossible, just that it was more work than I was willing to put into this quilt.  
I had added several large pieces and I really liked where it was going, but decided to cut those big pieces down into more manageable pieces. The answer was to use the largest square quilting ruler I own.
I used the Omnigrid 15" by 15" Quilting Ruler to cut these super-sized blocks. Whatever was left over got put into new blocks. The resulting blocks were then rearranged more times than I care to count.
I wanted to stabilize the perimeter, so I pieced 3" wide borders to use up some of the leftover strips and carry the improv piecing into the border. 

Overall, a great project. I still need to buy backing and get it quilted, but I learned more than little about what can be done with freehand-cut curves. Not quite a finish for April, but excellent progress. 

Want to learn about improv curves? Check out this great post by Anne of Play Crafts over on Lily's Quilts.

Also, you should check out the Mod Mood Quilt Along from Sherri Lynn Wood at Daintytime. It was a great inspiration when working on this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.