Monday, June 25, 2018

Embroidery Design - D20

I've had my embroidery machine and design software (5D Embroidery). I have played with it off and on over the years but it has frustrated me because it doesn't operate like other drawing software (such as Inkscape or GIMP). I decided I wanted to design something badly enough to struggle with the software until I got it do what I wanted.
First I went to find some appropriate art. This is one of the many images available on Game Icons.net. If you're looking for some simple vector graphics to use in game design you should really check them out. Their work is offered for free under Creative Commons.
This was my first stitch out of the design. It was too big for my purpose, but I wanted to see what it would look like.
I made some tweaks and stitched it out again. I didn't see much difference between the two, but a friend pointed out that the lower numbers we're really where they should be. I admit, I put them there as a way to make them fit. In the end I made a design decision to remove the numbers from most of the faces.
The design is a little simpler, but we all know what it supposed to be, no matter how many faces have numbers.
In the end, I think less is more. A nice project, even if it did take me almost all weekend to finish. I think after some tweaks, I might make this available on Etsy for other machine embroiderers to purchase for download. I can't be the only person that wants to make these key fobs.

This design would also work great on a custom dice bag. Check out my Etsy shop to see the bags I have available or request a custom order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.