Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tool Tip Tuesday: Quick Curve Ruler

Last year I discovered the Quick Curve Ruler.  It has been sitting on my shelf, patiently waiting for me to decide it was time to stop being afraid of sewing curves and get with the piecing.  
I finally got down to business last Saturday.  I pulled out my growing stack of holiday prints to practice these blocks.  All of the blocks I tried are from the pattern book Curve It Up! This is my first ever block created with this tool.  My trepidation was mostly unfounded.  These curves aren't difficult to sew at all!
I'm going through the pattern book, learning about the basic construction of each of the blocks.  These blocks take some time, but when they finish at 16" x 16" you feel like you've accomplished quite a bit once you give the block the final press and trim.
Curve It Up has twelve different block designs and while I made a good run of it on Saturday the remainder of the blocks will likely take me a while to finish.  If you want to learn more about this ruler and see it in action, I recommend you hop over to the Sew Kind of Wonderful Blog.  They have free patterns and tutorials on how to use the ruler.
I'm mixing and matching with all my holiday prints on this one.  I figured a sampler quilt is the best thing for a project like this.
The last block I pieced on Sunday and I have to admit that I've already started stepping away from the recommended fabrics and started to do my own thing.  It's only a matter of time before I figure out something off the program that I'm willing to give a try.

Are you sewing for the holidays?  Do you have a favorite ruler?  Share!

1 comment:

  1. oh I like the first and fourth blocks. I've wanted to make a whole quilt with this block and scraps but just haven't. The ruler looks like it might take some lessons to use... LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.