Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Charity Quilting: Disappearing 9-Patch

The disappearing 9-patch is such a simple block that has so much potential.  If you are a visual learner, the Missouri Star Quilt Company has a great YouTube video that shows you how to make this block.
When I quilt a charity quilt I have strips of backing fabric left over that can often be cut into 5" charms.  These charms build up quick.  I take them to the meetings of the Annapolis Quilts for Kids and they get mixed with more kid-friendly and fun fabrics to be sewn into quilts.  I used Superior Threads King Tut for the top thread on this one.  It stitched beautifully!
This quilt, like many others, was pieced by another member of Annapolis Quilts for Kids.  I take the top and backing and do the quilting.  After trimming, and making more 5" charms from the leftover backing, I take the quilt back to have another member of the group do the binding.  We really work together to make these quilts.

Do you work with a local charity?  I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.