Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sunday Swap: Winter Winds

I belong to the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild.  This month we had an opportunity to make mug rugs that have a winter theme.  I stumbled around until it occurred to me that I have the perfect pattern.
This is the Mini Hex N More from Jaybird Quilts.  I've played with the Sidekick and the Super Sidekick but this is the first project with the Mini Hex N More.  I decided that the Mini Northern Lights would be great when done in some of my leftover neutrals from the Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt.
I cut down a few strips of the the last of the neutrals and got to work.  I picked three that read a little darker than others and laid out the rows.  My design board got another workout with this project.
Sewing these together was very straightforward.  I only had to rip out on row.  I think my seam allowance was off just a tiny bit.  I worked it out before I got any more rows stitched.
I had planned on this one being a little wider than it was long.  It ended up finishing around 9" by 9" though.  I see a crooked seam, but it is too late to do anything about it now.
After quilting I trimmed it up and prepared for the binding.
The quilting on this one was done free-motion on my Pfaff.  The stitching was done with Superior So Fine!
I decided that a 2" binding would give me a nice narrow binding.  Bed-size quilts usually get a 2.5" double-fold binding.  Smaller quilts call for smaller binding.
I didn't get a fancy label on this one.  Just the name, date and my name on the back in Micron Pigma Pen.  I really like how this one turned out.  I should have made two.  This one would look great on my cubicle wall.
What did I get at the swap?  I'm glad you asked!  I received this darling little mug rug from Ruthie.  The darling little birds sit on the branches.  I love this!  It will find a place on my cubicle wall.  Somewhere it can spend quality time with my growing collection of tiny quilts.  Thanks, Ruthie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.