Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Improv Piecing

I needed a project that would use up some of these leftover bits of fabric taking up space in a bin. I pieced a bunch of bits and strips.
I added some wedge shapes to the mix. 
I kept going and filling in some of the empty space with larger pieces. Making more small pieced in turn. It is far from done and will be a creative process project for a long time. I'm glad I finally started this since I had been thinking about doing it for a while.

If you want to try something like this, I can make a couple recommendations.

Sherri Lynn Wood has a series of blog posts that take you through the creative process from color selection to curved piecing. Great way to start thinking about curved, improv piecing. You can also check out her book The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters: A Guide to Creating, Quilting, and Living Courageously.

Victoria Findlay Wolf (15 Minutes of Play) has a great series of tutorials about scrap piecing that helps you cut and sew to create colorful fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.