Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Virus Poncho

I've wanted to try the Virus Poncho for a while now. I don't need a poncho, but I wanted to try this design. I found a really good tutorial on YouTube, grabbed my yarn and hook and got moving.
This is not my first Virus project, so I already knew the basics of the motif. I just needed the help getting going with working the design in the round.
Joanna does an excellent job of getting you started with the project with her clear instructions.
If you want to give this one a try, I recommend you check out her YouTube channel for this and other tutorials.
With worsted weight yarn (this is Caron Big Cake in Nightberry) it works up quickly. In a lighter weight yarn it would be light and delicate.
To get a proper sized poncho, I think you really need two of the big cakes.
When I was approaching the end of the first cake I didn't think it was big enough so I picked up a second cake. I think it turned out the perfect size.

Self-striping yarns (Caron Cakes, Caron Big Cakes, Bernat Pop, Lion Brand Mandala, Premier Yarns Sweet Roll, Knit Picks Felici, and loads of others) are a great way to add a collection of colors to your project without buying full skeins of the yarn in each color or having to change colors. You have to give up a little control and let the yarn do the work, but I think it is worth it. If you aren't a fan of self-striping, check out the vast number of ombre yarns out there. They create a similar effect that can be more subtle with the color changes.

Tools
Clover Armour Crochet Hooks
Clover Armour Crochet Hooks with zippered case
Clover Locking Stitch Markers (3-pack) Buy more of these than you think you will need. Someday you will find you need every one you have for one project even though most projects only need one or two.

2 comments:

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.