Friday, February 2, 2018

Block Lottery: Candy Chains

This year the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild is doing a block lottery. I'm sure you could use your search engine of choice to find the rules for such a thing. I will admit that I like the idea more than I should. It combines learning new blocks with the element of chance thrown in. Not that I need another half-finished project. The block is called QST Candy Chains and there is a free tutorial on the Stash Bee Blog. Even if this block isn't your cup of tea, there are loads of free tutorials for blocks there and I highly recommend you check it out. 
The QST units are made using a tried-and-true method to make the 5" units. This method is great if you are the "make it larger and trim to size" mindset.
After the first block, I pulled together more fabrics and made a couple more. 
When I'd had enough of the pink and orange I added some purple and green. There are solids, prints, and even a hand-dyed.
I used the Wrights 4.5" Easy Angle and the Wrights Companion Angle to make smaller units to downsize the block to 12.5" by 12.5". The original block is a whopping 14" by 14". 
After one last purple block I decided it was time to give up. I packed them all away until the next meeting. I don't know that I'll be throwing all of them into the mix for the lottery, but I did learn about QST unit construction and that I prefer a 12" block to odd sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.