Monday, February 26, 2018

Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018 - February

This is the February installment of the Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018.
The challenge this month is for Number 7. My number seven is Weed Whacker
This block design is a free Bonnie Hunter pattern I wanted to try to use up some of the 2.5" strips I've been collecting to excess. 
This is a start to finish project as all I started with is the the block design and fabric. This is my basic layout designed in EQ8
I pulled out this stack of 2.5" strips, some more reds from my collection, some lights and a dark print for half of the corner triangles. As soon as I got to cutting the dark triangles I changed my mind and went with a solid black fabric. 
I spent a bunch of time cutting the corner triangles using the EZ Quilting Easy Angle 6.5-inch ruler. This thing has made some things so much easier. I also used it to cut my paper template for the parallelograms. 
Stacks and stacks of cut pieces.
I trimmed each unit before sewing three into a block. Checking your unit size before making the blocks is an important step to keep everything the right size and not chopping off those points. Not that my points are always perfect.
I tried to make a couple blocks each evening. 
I finished half the blocks with black opposing corners.  
Then finished the rest. I ended up with one extra block, which means my counting was slightly off, but I got to remove one less-than-perfect block from the stack. That one will go into the bin with the other 12" orphan blocks. I think that bin is filling up enough there should be another quilt hiding in there. 
The next step was sewing the blocks into rows and the rows into one column. I webbed the blocks to keep them all straight. If you've never webbed a block or a quilt top, you should check out Bonnie Hunter's post for webbing a quilt top. You can also web individual blocks during construction. I often do this when unit placement is important. 
I popped over to Spring Water Designs to pick up some backing. They are my favorite shop when looking for wide backing fabric. The selection is always great. This time I decided to use the humble meander for quilting.
As usual, the binding is as scrappy as the top. That's a wrap for the February Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018!

Remember, finished is better than perfect. 

2018 Charity Quilt Count: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.