Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Get It Done UFO Challenge 2018 Edition

I decided to join in the fun for another UFO Challenge. Again, I had a little trouble coming up with twelve quilts for the year. This is not because I don't have enough ideas. Just that I don't have a dozen half-done projects hanging around at the end of the year. If you want to see how Spring Water Designs does their challenge, check it out on their blog.

I put together my list and sent it over to SWD. I wanted to share it on my blog because I referred to the 2017 list at least once a month when the new challenge was put out.
  1. Green Hourglass (COMPLETED March 2018) - finish blocks, trim, assemble into top, quilt and bind. 
  2. Carpenter's Star - (COMPLETED JUNE 2018) Top constructed. Quilt and bind.
  3. Quilter's Quest 2014 (COMPLETED May 2018) - this one just didn't get finished in 2017. Quilt and bind. 
  4. Flying Geese Bee quilt (COMPLETED April 2018) - Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild Bee Block swap units. Assemble into a top, quilt, and bind.
  5. Oasis Charm (COMPLETED January 2018) - tumbler or disappearing 9-patch, assemble top. Quilt and bind. 
  6. Batik Curve (COMPLETED May 2018) - curved improv piecing experiment. Continue the experiment until it is a quilt top. Quilt and bind. 
  7. Weed Whacker (COMPLETED February 2018) - Bonnie Hunter free pattern to use up some of the 2.5" strips I've been collecting to excess. Make blocks, assemble top. Quilt and bind. 
  8. Batik Churning Fourteen - (COMPLETED June 2018) top constructed. Quilt and bind.
  9. On Ringo Lake (COMPLETED March 2018) - Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt, finish units and assemble top. Bonus if it gets quilted before the end of November when the next mystery quilt starts. 
  10. Sissy's Quilt (COMPLETED March 2018) - 1930s reproduction print quilt. Top constructed. Quilt and bind. 
  11. Cherry Christmas (COMPLETED December 2018) - this tumbler quilt top was constructed as number 3 for 2017 UFO challenge. Now it needs to be quilted. Quilt and bind. 
  12. Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild (COMPLETED March 2018) Mystery Quilt - top constructed. Quilt and bind. 
Number 1: Green Hourglass. This project started out as a way to use up a bunch of strips because I have So Many Strips. I'm going to get a quilt out of those bins of 2.5" strips this year.
Number 2: Carpenter's Star (or Carpenter's Wheel). This project started out as a way for me to work through some of my fabrics. I pieced the top and the binding before the end of 2017.
Number 3: Quilter's Quest 2014. Yes. This one continues to haunt me. Maybe I'll get it on the frame this year. At this point, anything to get it finished!
Number 4: Flying Geese Bee quilt. These are the blocks I received as part of the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild block bee in 2017. I know these geese want to become a quilt and I'm going to try to do just that this year.
Number 5: Oasis Charm - COMPLETED. This was a last minute arrival. I have so many charm packs that need to become something, so these will likely become another tumbler quilt.
Number 6: Batik Curve. This was my foray into curved piecing using a bunch of my batik fabrics with some solids thrown in for flavor. It is so much of a work in progress I fear it will never be finished. On the list it goes.
Number 7: Weed Whacker. This is a Bonnie Hunter free pattern that I'm going to adapt to use up a bunch of these 2.5" strips. I don't know if I'll be using this stack of strips, because there are several more where this stack came from, but I thought it made for a good photo.
Number 8: Batik Churning Fourteen. This one is a made from a pattern by Sam Hunter. It is all pieced and ready to be quilted.
Number 9: On Ringo Lake. This is the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt. These quilts are not difficult, but they are not for the feint of heart. Thousands of little pieces put together in an easy and methodical way. I think I become a better piecer with every one of her quilts.
Number 10: Sissy's Quilt. This fun 1930s reproduction print quilt has been a challenge. I would like to finish it up and send it off to its proper home.
Number 11: Cherry Christmas. This is one of the charm quilts I pieced last year. I have the binding made, and the backing prepped. I just need to get it quilted.
Number 12: Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild Mystery Quilt. This quilt challenged me as it worked with the bias so much more than I would have chosen to if I knew about the design before I started.

Let's see how many of these I can accomplish during the year. Setting them as goals and sharing the list really helps me accomplish more than I would otherwise. Have you set any quilty goals for the year?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great bunch of projects! I really like your Baltimore MQG quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.