Monday, May 5, 2014

Singer 457 'Stylist' Sewing Machine (Part Two)

This is part two of my clean-up of this vintage Singer 457 Stylist sewing machine (Part One).  I've finished the oiling and cleaning and waxing.
Step one was to get some wax on the cabinet.  Yes, I take full responsibility for the big long scratch.  I'm pretty sure I did that when I turned the cabinet over to tighten up the lets and all the other hardware.
First I lathered on a good coating of Howard Feed & Wax to all the finished parts of the cabinet.  I love the smell of this furniture polish.
While the wax was sitting on the wood, hopefully getting sipped up by the vernier, I went back to the machine to wipe out the old grease.  I cleaned up as much of the old grease as I could with cotton-swabs, some machine oil and even a little new grease before I added new grease to the metal gears.  Then I put everything back together.
Before I put the machine had back into the cabinet, I gave the cabinet a light buffing with a cotton rag to give it a little shine and remove the excess wax.  That scratch on the top isn't so noticeable any more.  It's still there and will always be there.
Now that she has all the oil she needs she just zips right along with her stitches.  Beautiful!

I think she is just a cute little machine.  I am still thinking about her name.  This naming thing might take a while.  Maybe when she gets put in her perfect spot it will come to me.  Have you named your sewing machine?

Even newer UPDATE:  I have repaired this machine.  Go read about the replacement of the failed gear in this post.

UPDATE:  Since I posted this this sewing machine is no longer in working order.  This machine, like many of the time, had nylon gears.  The gear that drives the bobbin hook was damaged.  I don't know if this was because it was damaged when I got it, or I damaged it by failing to properly lubricate the hook area.  It could be either of those things.  I was sewing along and the machine stopped picking up thread.  I did some troubleshooting and found that the reason it wouldn't pick up thread is because I had no movement of the bobbin hook.  I did some research and a replacement gear would not be terribly expensive.  It would however require me to take apart much of the machine to get to the damaged gear and then after reassembly it would need to be timed.  While I enjoyed the time I spent with this machine I don't think it is worth the time to replace the damaged gear.  When buying a vintage machine I recommend you take a screwdriver and flashlight and take a good look under the hood before handing over your dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I can not respond to your comment.