Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Super-Quick Fleece Blanket

This blanket is super quick and cuddly. I made these for my dogs, but you can use them for toddlers, too.
Supplies

  • 1 yard of fleece fabric
  • rotary mat and ruler (minimum 24")
  • rotary cutter
  • circle cutter ruler (optional)

note: you can do this with just your scissors but the results won't be as neat
Fold the piece of fleece with selvage edges together, then fold the fold to the selvage edge. Trim the raw edge straight.
Square up the other edge. This is where if your piece of fabric was cut too short or too long you will trim and then measure whatever it is for the next cut.
Fold the two now trimmed edges together and cut off one selvage edge. I made two cuts, one to cut off the selvage, then another to make that cut straight. The selvage on some fleece distorts the fabric so I wanted to make sure the edge was as straight as I could get it. Then measure from this now straight edge and trim the excess to make the blanket square. I bought two remnants that were labeled 1 yard each. The pink was about 40" and the black was 35". I cut the pink at 36" by 36" and the black at 35" by 35".
I used my circle cutter ruler to trim the corners. You don't need one of these to trim the corner. You can use any circle you have in your house (a plate can get you a good shape) or you can totally wing it.
Trim all four corners.
Here are my finished blankets. For the record, a dog will not sleep comfortably under a blanket all night. At least mine won't. They still have something they can dig in when preparing for bed, which is important.

Supplies: $6.50 (including tax)
Time: about 1 hour total for both

Have you made any super-simple projects with fleece? I'd love to learn about them.

I also want to share with you this blog post I came across via a friend. Dee over at Cupcakes and Crowbars wrote a long rambling post about being the thing she should best at - being herself. It speaks about what kinds of expectations she set and what she got out of them. I really enjoyed it and I think it is worth reading. Don't get yourself wrapped up in what other people think you should be, or even what you think you should be. Try to just be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.