Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Perkiomen Valley

I worked on this project while Bonnie Hunter hosted Quilt Cam Saturday afternoon.
Image exported from EQ8
I've had a tab open in my browser for a couple weeks to make a few blocks to support the efforts of the Ventura Modern Quilt Guild in making quilts in the wake of the Thomas Fire and the mudslides that followed. I like it when quilters come together to make a difference in the life of someone touched by tragedy.
Image exported from EQ8
I looked at my collection of fabric and decided I would try to pull enough fabric for a quilt top. It didn't take long before I had a collection of fabrics ready to go. After playing with layouts in EQ8 for entirely too long, I came up with a setting for 6 blocks by 7 blocks that I liked. Well, in truth I came up with about four settings, but this is the one I decided to use.
After printing my block and quilt designs, I pulled a collection of fabrics and got cutting. It took most of the morning, but I got it all cut by lunch time. I used the EZ Quilting Easy Angle 6.5-inch ruler to cut the half-square triangles.
I started with the half-square triangle blocks after lunch. It wasn't long before I had the pieces ready to be assembled into blocks.
I pieced for much of the afternoon and I think I've made it almost halfway through block construction. I think there will be at least one more of these in my future. Because these fabrics were pulled from my collection so this goes soundly in the Sew My Stash 2018 category. Sadly, it also adds to my list of projects to finish this year.
Look at that binding!
I pieced all the blocks and laid them out for assembly. This one is going to take a while to finish but it will be worth it.

Directions to make the Perkiomen Valley Block can be found on the Ventura Modern Quilt Guild's blog.

Others bloggers talking about the Thomas Fire and the Quilts from the Ashes project:
From my Carolina Home
QuiltShopGal
Super Buzzy - this site has great info with many more links and has a list of those that have already contributed

Have you made a block or two to help out people touched by hurricanes, floods, fires, or other natural disasters in the last twelve months? Do you have a project that is close to your heart? Add to the comments if you would like to share your story.

1 comment:

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.