Monday, November 17, 2014

Quilters Quest - Second Day, Second Shop - Material Girls Quilt Boutique

The story of my adventures on the Quilters Quest Shop Hop continues:

I love this family-owned business.  They are so welcoming and I wish I lived close enough to take classes with them.  Their classroom is great!
The second shop my DH took me to was Material Girls Quilt Boutique.  I'm tickled when I pop and and they say "Welcome back!"  This quilt is hanging in the classroom.  It is the Moda Modern Building Blocks quilt.  I really like it and was hoping to get the block instructions but it seems this only comes as a kit.  I have enough fabric (can you hear The Bitchy Stitcher laughing at me?) so I didn't want to get the kit.  I may have to play with some of my scraps to put together something similar. 
Again I failed to take many pictures.  This one is from the notions wall.  A friend of mine was looking for this ruler and I wanted to let her know where she could find it. Creative Grids rulers are my new favorite for general cutting.  I have two and when I find another I can't live without it will be coming home with me.  This is the 6.5" by 12.5" which is a great size for trimming and smaller cutting.  I also have the 6.5" by 24.5" for cutting width-of-fabric pieces and strips and the 4.5" by 12.5" for smaller cutting.  
Here is my collection of mad loot from Material Girls.  I picked up a small pile of American Made Brand of cotton solids.  This is a nice alternative to Kona Cottons if you want a fabric that is made in the United States from cotton seed to fabric.  I don't have confirmation of this but I've heard from quilting educators that Kona Cotton greige fabrics are created in at least seven different countries.  That can create a great deal of differences in quality of fabric, shrinkage rates and quality of dye and color-fastness.  American Made Brand only has 62 colors to compete with the 303 colors that Robert Kaufman offers but I think supporting U.S. industry is important to my country's economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.