Thursday, November 27, 2014

Holiday Curves with the Quick Curve Ruler

Last month I shared some of the blocks I'd made with the Quick Curve Ruler and the Curve It Up! pattern from Sew Kind of Wonderful.
Block 7 - Log Cabin.  I saved this one until the last because I knew I would have many strips leftover from cutting the other blocks.
Block 11 - Drunkard's Path.  I cut this block twice.  The first set of pieces is lost somewhere in my studio.  I'll find it.  Probably sometime in the spring.
Block 1 - Star Block.  This one is an example of how playing with the blocks can really create something different.
I played with layout a little.  (Yes, that is my design floor.  I still don't have a design wall.)  These blocks are big.  The finished size is 16" by 16" which is much bigger than the blocks I usually work with.
I don't often work with sashing as it can be tedious.  Sewing 12 blocks together takes so much longer when you have to fit in all those sashing pieces and corners.  This quilt really wanted the sashing, though.  And I still had plenty of the background fabric (this quilt has four different white-on-white prints for the background).   When I had finished adding the interior sashing I had run out of the background fabric so it was time to see what I could do for an outer border with some of my other holiday prints.
I pulled a couple pieces of red that would work for the outer sashing and used some scraps for the corners.  I pieced the binding from several strips so it will be just as scrappy as the quilt.  I've already got the backing fabric but I don't have any white batting.  I buy my cotton batting by the roll so if I want to use anything other than unbleached 100% cotton I have to make a trip out or buy online.

I wonder if I can get it quilted before the December holiday.  We shall see.

1 comment:

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.