Wednesday, December 17, 2014

2012 Block of the Month - Finally Finished!

Some quilts just take longer than others.  Nothing can be done about it.
According to the date on this photo, I started this quilt in September of 2012.  Well, I picked the fabrics in September 2012.  This Block of the Month from 2012 was a free Craftsy class.
All twenty blocks are provided, each block type done two different ways.
Some of the blocks challenged me, and when they were done they sat in a bin waiting to become a quilt.  When I got to the end of the year I wanted to finish up projects to clear the queue for next year.  I still have many quilts hanging around, but I've also finished loads and moved them on to new homes.  I didn't have enough yellow fabric left over to do sashing but that definitely didn't break my heart since I'm still not a fan of sashing.  I played with layout until I settled on this.
I did have enough background fabric to nicely frame the entire quilt.
I thought about the quilting and after the holiday print quilt I just wasn't in the mood for custom quilting.  I ended up just going with this fun flower motif.  Two blocks may have the flower motif centered.
I still love this quilting motif.  I quilted it as an all-over design.  Quilted with Superior Threads Magnifico as the top thread and a coordinating spun poly in the bobbin.  I used yellow thread for this one.
One bonus was that while I was making the blocks, I would cut a strip of each of the fabrics for the binding.  Scrappy binding is still my favorite.  Scrappy binding that is pieced, pressed and ready to go is even better!
After washing this quilt has the most amazing hand.  It just asks to cuddle.

Finished size:  52" wide by 62" long.

Do you have quilt blocks that have been hanging around for years?  Put at least one of them on your list to finish next year.  You'll be so happy you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.