Monday, December 15, 2014

Mystery Quilting - Clue #3

This is the third post about my adventure in mystery quilting.  Go to Bonnie's blog to learn more about this fun quilt mystery.  It's time for another update to show you where I'm at and to link up with the rest of the quilters participating this year.  You can go back and check out my work on Clue #1 and Clue #2 from the last couple weeks.
This clue worked up quickly since it is just strip piecing and then string piecing the cut strip-sets.  Easy doesn't mean fast by any means.  Bonnie gave directions for pressing after the strip units were stitched.  I had a little bit of trouble with them before they were pressed, so I pressed them before joining.  It might seem like an extra step, but I think my piecing and pressing was better for the effort.  I cut all of my strips from fat-quarter pieces.
Here is another first for me.  That's right, cutting both of these strip-sets at the same time.  Risky!  I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  I think the precise cutting, pressing and trimming made the difference here.
I've learned a great deal about my own cutting method and my own perfect 1/4" seam.  The secret is in the testing and trimming.  If you test, learn your own methods and allow for them you can turn out accurate blocks again and again.
Even though I cut these together, I did mix and match a little as I went along.  Since I was using fat quarters I would have ended up with only 12 different units.  I consistently got 10 square-sets out of one pieced strip-set.  Not enough variety for scrappy.  Well, not to me.  I ended up sewing seven of each of those ten as cut.  The other three got swapped around with others to create a little variety. 
Before I was done there was a terrifying moment when I realized I'd somehow ended up with an extra black strip that got sewn to one of the oranges.  I had a lonely white strip without a mate.  It seems I'm destined to rip a little with each clue.  Last time it was 5", this time it was closer to 22".  Not too bad, in the grand illusion scheme.

Linking up with Quiltville's Link-up Party!

9 comments:

  1. LOL on the ripping, I did some too! Love your clue three in orange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful colors. That darn seam ripper is often a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite color is "October"...must scroll back and see the rest of your colors now! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! Having fun, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your colors and can't wait to see how they all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your orange looks great. I´m looking forward to the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am using orange also. Hope it all works out well.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.