Friday, July 10, 2015

Busy Bee: June

As a member of the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild I'm participating in a monthly quilting bee.  For June, the bee blocks were something a little different.
This time the queen bee wanted some scrappy hexagons made with strings.  She gave each of us a template which was perfect.  (I used my Super Sidekick from Jaybird Quilts when making cuts.  I recommend this ruler if you're going to be cutting many triangles.)  I sewed some string sections together and then trimmed the triangles.
It took me a couple tries to get all the triangles I needed mostly because I was using shorter strings.  I did get some great variety, though!  I laid out each hexagon on my design board and went to the sewing machine.
The queen bee asked that all seams be pressed open.  It was a challenge, but my fingers survived.
Once they were all sewn together the points mostly met in the middle.  
I think the last time I did something like this the pressing to one side made my piecing a little more accurate.  I still think they cam out great!  I may need to use some of my strings to do something like this for myself.

Have you participated in a quilt bee recently?  Did it help you learn a new block or new technique?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.