Monday, July 27, 2015

Dragon Chow Dice Bag

While I was on the hunt for some dice bag ideas to make my DH a new way to store and transport dice I found this great tutorial for a small dice bag.  The design is from Lindsay at Dragon Chow Dice Bags.  Sadly, Lindsay no longer makes and sells these fun dice bags but she does share her tutorial for how to make one of your own.  The pattern is licensed with a Creative Commons: Attribution 3.0 License.
First, go check out this great review of the dice bag from Dice of Doom.  It gives you a look at the bag and gives a gamer's point of view.  It includes a video of the bag in action!
You do need some notions for this one.  I had this cording and these drawstring stoppers in one of my many boxes of stuff.  Otherwise the only special thing I needed was a bodkin.  Although a safety pin will work (the tutorial linked at the beginning shows you how).
The pattern requires very little fabric.  I picked a couple that were hanging out on my cutting table and got to work.  The cutting is really straightforward.
I made my lining and outer bags pretty quickly.  I did press the two before putting them together.  This will be difficult if you don't have a sleeve board or something similar.
Nested and pinned.  I wrote a tool tip for the magnetic pin cushion last year.
The construction of this one baffled me at first.  When I figured out the point of what was being done with this super deep seam allowance I was so happy with this small genius.  There are no raw edges anywhere on this bag.  Not even inside the drawstring channel.  I love it!
Here you can see my bodkin.  I love this for threading drawstrings and elastic.  It is a great little tool.  I picked mine up at a quilt show but you can get one from Amazon.
I love this bag because it is perfectly reversible.  Here is the inside.
Here is the bottom.  I am overly pleased at how neat the bottom looks.
Overall this is a great little bag.  The tutorial is easy to follow.  I think it would make a great gift for new gamers, or someone who has a giant collection of a single type of dice (like a hundred D10s for those that play Vampire the Masquerade or 7th Sea).  If you want to start off your collection of dice, I can recommend Chessex's Pound-O-Dice.

None of the links here are affiliated.  This means I looked up this information to share with you without being compensated in any way.

Have you found any free tutorials that you love?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. I am a newbie (I bought a sewing machine on a whim, whim!), and between Lyndsay's tutorial and your post here I was able to successfully make one of these little bags and it came out perfectly. My husband bought me a Dragon Chow bag for my dice a few years ago and I'm really excited to make him one of his own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I totally want to make this bag, it looks great! However, the tutorial you linked doesn't seem to be online anymore. I think I get most of the steps from your description and images, however the step with the deep seam allowance doesn't yet make sense to me. Any tips? Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will attempt to reply to questions as I am able. I reply to comments exclusively through email. If you do not change your settings in Blogger to ensure you are not a no-reply blogger I cannot and will not respond to your comment. NOTE: Comments are moderated; spam will be removed and reported.